Sunday 7 June 2020

Review of 'The Christmas Lights' by Karen Swan


Grey background with black text that reads: “Home is wherever you are, it may not be exciting or glamorous, but this is the biggest life.” - 'The Christmas Lights' by Karen Swan

I know it's June and I'm posting a review of a Christmas book, but I read this way back in December and I'm trying to not get even further behind on these than I already am. I think I'm catching up, slowly? 

The Christmas Lights is the first Christmassy romance I've ever read and it's made me want to read everything Karen Swan has on offer. The main characters Bo and her partner Zac are Instagram influencers who spend their lives travelling, offering insights into what it's like to be a local in different places around the world. They have the most stunning, romantic life online that everyone's envious of. However, when Zac's proposal to Bo has to be filmed at multiple locations and shots taken over and over again from all different angles she realises that maybe she's not as happy as she always thought.

The pair (and their photographer/manager of course)are heading to the Nordic fjords for Christmas in the hope of taking breathtaking photos of the Northern Lights as well as the stunning scenery around their isolated cottage. Signy, an elderly lady who rented this out to them is left with the wrath of her grandson Anders who is having to deal with their demands in winter when the cottages are normally closed. Her stories from being a young girl are intertwined between the passages about the lives of Bo, Zac and Anders.

This was the perfect Christmas read for me. Heartwarming, set in a place you would love to be curled up in during the festive season, and it had a really great love story to boot. The descriptions of the fjords were beautiful and I was totally hooked. It was a little cheesy and predictable, but what can you expect from a Christmas romance? I really want to pick up some of her other books this December to give a go then!

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment