Saturday 27 April 2019

Review of 'The Rumour' by Lesley Kara

Review of 'The Rumour' by Lesley Kara

I've not read a good thriller in a LONG time, or at least I hadn't before this. I find thrillers either make me all 'oh my GOSH I'll never turn a light off again' or 'wow this person has some very creepy ideas, goes into a LOT of graphic detail and there's not really much plot'. This one (thankfully) fell into the former category. Even though I read this a few months ago now, the writing was so vivid that I can STILL remember specific scenes from the book.

Joanna, our main character, lives in a little town by the sea, a single parent to her son. Still on good terms with his dad (and let's face it, still a little in love with him, though they've never really been a couple), she has a fab support network with her mum helping out too.

Life is peaceful, if not a little boring, until Joanna hears that notorious child killer Sally McGowen is living under a new identity in their home town. Desperate to make some friends at her kid's school (and for him to stop being bullied because of the colour of his skin), Joanna spreads the rumour to a book club. Soon things escalate, and it's all everyone's talking about. 

Joanna begins to suspect almost everyone she knows, and when strange things start happening at school, she finds herself more convinced than ever that Sally's among them. Michael (her baby daddy, for want of a better word), is an investigative journalist, and her son begins to be targeted by someone trying to scare them into stopping looking into things. The whole family are swept up in something they never asked to be a part of, and if Sally killed a child once, what's to stop her doing it again?


I LOVED this book, but if you're going to read it I would recommend ignoring the endorsement quotes on it. There are so many things they spoilered for me in the book by saying things like 'keeps you guessing until the final page' which showed there was a twist on the last page. Just WHY.

It contains a couple of graphic violence scenes, so here's a little trigger warning for that.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube 



No comments:

Post a Comment