Saturday 18 April 2020

Review of 'Body Positive Power' by Megan Jayne Crabbe

Grey background with writing that says: "Happiness is not a size. It isn't a number on a piece of fabric, it can't be found in a calorie count, and it sure as hell isn't hiding in your bathroom scales" - 'Body Positive Power' by Megan Jayne Crabbe

If I could only recommend one book I read last year this would be it every single time. I hope in the near future there's copies of this in all school and public libraries so that there's something at least standing in the way of the flooding of self-hate that teenagers, particularly girls, are encouraged to accept and participate in.

Body Positive Power exceeded all my expectations from the off. Although I follow the author on social media platforms, I was a little prejudiced in thinking this was going to be a bit shallow and fall short of what it could be. However, it was incredibly well-researched; there was SO much I learnt throughout the whole book, and everything was backed up with articles or books the author had read.

The book explores modern diet culture, starting from the roots of how it's come to be what it is over the past few hundred years. Megan Crabbe explores how the whole industry has become so pervasive everywhere, and how information has been taken by the diet industry to suit their own needs. A couple of things that really shocked me (without giving away too much) are these: being underweight kills far more people than being overweight; only 5% of the population can achieve the body goal we've all been told is possible, so no matter how hard you try you are likely to never reach it; BMI was never designed to be a measurement of health for all people.

There are trigger warnings throughout, so if you are struggling with an eating disorder, or don't feel comfortable with certain things, Megan's added in handy 'stop here' and 'start again here' signs, so you can skip over any potential triggers without having to scan the page to see where you can pick up again.

As I said, I thought this book was incredible and I'll be lending it to as many people I know as will agree to read it!

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment