Wednesday 29 July 2020

Review of 'On The Come Up' by Angie Thomas



After reading The Hate U Give I put off buying and then reading this for a while because I was worried it wouldn't compare at all to just how incredible THUG was. However, that was dumb and I should have trusted Angie Thomas' writing because this was SO GOOD too. They're both some of my favourite YA books I've ever read and now I can't wait for Concrete Rose to be released. 

On the Come Up is all about 16 year old Bri who wants to be a rapper just like her dad was before he died. Her mum however wants her to focus on school and just stay out of trouble. There's no food at home, and despite her mum's and brother's best efforts, the family is running out of money. Bri is determined to make a difference, and the only way she knows how is by trying to get her name out there as a rapper. 

When Bri uses the stereotypes that are forced onto her to make a rap that goes viral when she uses it at the rap battleground her dad had so much success at, she is misunderstood. The nuance of showing the stereotypes are wrong is not understood, and Bri starts to face more discrimination and hate than she ever had done before. With her mum and friends begging her to step away, can she do it?

As I said already, I LOVED this book. Although I wouldn't describe myself as really being into rap, I liked that Angie Thomas included Bri's raps in the book. The book was excellent at showing what it's like to be a teen trying to work out who you are when the world is pushing a whole bunch of different agendas on you. Bri's family and friends (and herself) are flawed, but likeable, and it did feel like delving into a community when reading this book. It touches on police brutality, and how the presence of police in schools can make Black students feel, which is something I've never really seen discussed in detail, but is so important.

The book made me laugh and cry and want to scream and I'd really recommend it for and YA fans. This was of course a 5 star read!

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment