Thursday 9 July 2020

Review of 'Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered: The Definitive How To Guide' by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark


Grey background with black writing that reads: "Fuck politeness.” Fuck the way we were socialized. Fuck the expectation that we always put other people’s needs first. And while we’re at it, fuck the patriarchy!" - 'Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered: The Definitive How To Guide' by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark

The older I get, the more non-fiction I read. I never saw myself as a non-fiction kind of person, but I've read a couple so far this year and even that is a massive step up from a couple of years ago, let alone from when I was in my teens. I've been obsessed with the My Favorite Murder podcast hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark for about a year now and it's my go-to listen for when I'm doing any kind of chore. Listening to something instead of letting my thoughts run wild whilst I'm doing something boring has done wonders for my anxiety.

I was so excited when I heard about the book release and so glad my best friend bought me a copy for Christmas (which I've now totally lent back so she can share in the joy too).

This dual memoir has a section from Karen and Georgia on each topic discussed in the book. The chapters all have beautiful artwork at the start of them, mostly depicting some of their catchphrases (stay out of the forest/fuck politeness etc). They talk through important topics including Karen losing her mum to dementia, Georgia's drug addiction as a teen and both's struggles with their mental health.

If you're a fan of the podcast, this really is an incredible read. I felt their voices came across really well in the book and I could almost hear them saying what I was reading. The book was very raw and stories were shared that haven't been spoken about on the podcast before. They deal with touchy subjects in a very sensitive way and are open about their flaws and things they regret. The photos interspersed throughout were a great addition to the book.

They don't cover any true crime stories, but rather discuss why and how they got into true crime and the impact this and the podcast have had on their lives. So if you're looking for an insight into particular crime stories, this isn't the book for you. However, if you want an actually laugh out loud book that will also make you cry that tells you more about the lives of these ladies that so many people have come to admire then this is a great read!

I gave this five stars.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment