Thursday 2 August 2018

Review of 'Birds Art Life Death' by Kyo Maclear

Review of 'Birds Art Life Death' by Kyo Maclear - www.the-darkness-will-never-win.blogspot.com

It's rare that I pick up a memoir-style book, or anything that loosely rings of the word 'non-fiction' (although, are biographies ever not really fiction?). Birds Art Life Death is a book I stumbled upon and I'm so glad I did.

Kyo Maclear finds herself lost in the big wide world after the loss of her father. As she becomes a father-less daughter, she also comes across the biggest writing block of her life. Suddenly she's not who she thought she was, and she can't get back. At a point of desperation, she turns to another kind of artist, a bird watcher in the city who lets her accompany him on his twitchy trips.

The book is split up into the different seasons of the year, and, like avian migration, Kyo's path changes with each different season. She takes time out of her hectic life to sit at peace with nature, and she begins to benefit from this.

I found this book so utterly comforting that I can see myself coming back to it time and time again. I read it way back in April, when it felt like Winter might never shift, and it was a much-needed reminder that seasons change, just like people do. Nothing is static. 

Maclear has such a poetic way with words, making this a fab book to dip in and out of, without feeling as though you needed to catch up on what was going on. It made me more conscious of the world around me, and I even found myself listening out for the sound of bird calls!

I would definitely recommend this, especially for those who struggle with anxiety, and find that sometimes books can flare it up.

This will be heading up on my Depop soon, so head over there and have a look at the books I'm selling!

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment