Saturday 25 August 2018

Review of 'The Honeymoon' by Tina Seksis

Review of 'The Honeymoon' by Tina Seksis

It's been a LONG ol' time since I picked up a good thriller to read, but after being recommended this by my good friend Aimee (check out her blog here), I couldn't resist. 

The Honeymoon kick starts in the Maldives, where Jemma and her husband are honeymooning. That is, until he goes missing five days in. Unable to remember much from the night he disappeared after drinking one too many cocktails, Jemma has a whole host of dark thoughts swirling around. She knows they weren't getting along, but she couldn't have done something to him ... could she?

The holiday narrative is interrupted with chapters from the past, showing us how Jemma and her hubby got to a stage where they're in the Maldives honeymooning, but everything is a bit tense. 

I really enjoyed this one. I loved the fact that the author used this paradisaical location to subvert the norm of thrillers happening in dark and dank and dangerous places. Jemma was a character that you never could quite trust, and she made a whole lot of mistakes. It moved away from a damsel in distress idea without painting Jemma as some kind of black widow with no heart, which is worringly a fine line in most fiction. 

The big twists in this novel were epic, and definitely made it an absolute page turner. I felt like I was hunting the twist down right up until the very end, and I would definitely recommend this if you're a fan of a good thriller that isn't *too* heavy.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment