Thursday 13 September 2018

Review of 'Must Try Harder: Adventures in Anxiety'* by Paula McGuire

Review of 'Must Try Harder: Adventures in Anxiety' by Paula McGuire

'Must Try Harder' is a book that I really thought I wouldn't get on with at all, largely due to the name. I'm sure a lot of anxiety sufferers have been told in the past that maybe if they tried a little harder they'd just 'get over' their anxiety. But I'm so glad I moved past this to read what was truly an inspirational book for me. 

Paula McGuire subverts the idea of those struggling with anxiety needing to try harder to be better by absolutely going beyond anything that she ever expected. Paula suffered from severe anxiety that developed in her childhood and followed her all the way up until she hit thirty. Her anxiety and mental health issues were repeatedly misdiagnosed, and accepted as being 'just the way she is'.

However, Paula has a bit of a revelation. She's determined to fight her anxiety, and as social anxiety is what plagues her most, she focuses on sports. Paula has decided to have a go at all 17 Commonwealth games sports, and the book follows her journey into this.

I honestly found this such an inspirational read as someone who struggles with anxiety. It has made me want to stop putting off trying new things, but work with my anxiety and around my anxiety to do them in a way that's manageable for me. 


I would definitely recommend this to those struggling with anxiety or stuck in a bit of a rut, as it really does make you want to switch things up without being too 'self-help-y' or preachy!

*I was sent this book for the purpose of a review, but all thoughts and opinions are my own*

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment