Sunday 19 January 2020

Review of 'The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes' by Arthur Conan Doyle

Review of 'The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes' by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes is one of those characters that has captured the English imagination for over a century in a way few others have, lining the walls of popular culture alongside the likes of Dracula, Frankenstein and Oliver Twist (all similarly eponymous characters).

I read my first Sherlock Holmes book in 2018, and if I'm being honest, I didn't expect to enjoy it. But, I loved it. Conan Doyle's books make for a comforting read, something you can curl up under a blanket with and not have to invest masses of time and energy into. This was the perfect read for a bit of a slump I was having where I just needed a little soul-soothing.

As with all the Sherlock Holmes books, this is comprised of a number of short stories all told by his best friend/assistant Dr Watson. Holmes is a man clearly admired both by the police and his friend, but always keeps his cards very close to his chest. Thus, the reader is forced to guess 'whodunnit' along with Watson as Holmes keeps him in the dark most often right up to the great reveal. 

This book also has the first story in it that I've encountered with Moriarty, and if you're a fan of the TV show, he's almost just as diabolical in this. It's the first time Sherlock is truly tested, and through Watson's eyes we see the battles with Moriarty turn into an all-encompassing obsessive disaster for Holmes.

I loved reading this. If you enjoy things like Agatha Christie's novels, or just want a crime book without *too* much drama, this is a great read.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment