Wednesday 26 August 2020

Review of 'China Rich Girlfriend' by Kevin Kwan

 

Grey sparkly background with black writing that reads: “People are messy. Life gets messy. Things are not always going to work out perfectly just because you want them to.” - 'China Rich Girlfriend' by Kevin Kwan

Reading Crazy Rich Asians last year was a total breath of fresh air. It was like Gossip Girl (the TV series version), but with everyone having more money and set in Asia. I was OBSESSED, and China Rich Girlfriend didn't disappoint. I was a bit worried it might be one of those series' where the same trope is used repeatedly, but this had a whole world of new story lines and I was totally hooked.

*Spoilers if you've not read Crazy Rich Asians*

Nick and Rachel have decided to get married back in the US, and after his mum's *ahem* 'activities' in the last book, they've banned her from being there for the wedding. However, nothing's really a total secret in the world the pair live in. When Nick's mum finds out where they're setting up for the wedding, she flies to the US to drop the truth bomb on Rachel in person: she's found out who Rachel's father is. Wanting to find out more about her family history, Rachel brings Nick with her to China to meet her family, but things don't quite go to plan. 

This book was just as dramatic as the first one. The narrative is split into the perspectives of quite a few different characters, so it's a little hard to dip in and out of, but I find it really helps to keep me engaged. The stories loop and in and out of each other as the characters interact and I find it's a great way to reveal upcoming drama or secrets or twists. There were some new characters who made the old catty women in Nick's family seem like a breeze and I was totally absorbed.

I gave this five stars and I can't wait to get started on the final book in the series!

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment