Sunday 9 August 2020

Review of 'The Silent Patient' by Alex Michaelides


Grey background with black writing that reads "One of the hardest things to admit is that we weren't loved when we needed it most. It's a terrible feeling, the pain of not being loved" - 'The Silent Patient' by Alex Michaelides

99% of the time, I decide on what kind of rating I'll give a book about a third of the way through and it rarely shifts. This book totally turned that on its head - I thought I'd give it 2 or 3 stars almost the whole way through reading the book, but the last 10% of it or so completely changed everything and made it a 5 star read for me.

The book is told from two perspectives: a woman in a psychiatric unit where she's remained mute since the day she killed her husband; and the therapist that's desperate to be assigned to treat her to try and be the one who gets her to speak. The majority of the story is told from his viewpoint, with snippets from her diary interspersed in between. It's hard to say too much about the book without giving things away, but everything got very intense before the end and the writing ultimately totally blew me away.

I found the book a little slow in a few parts, but it mostly was a page turning psychological thriller that kept me up at night wanting to read more. I was desperate for the woman to speak and tell us exactly what happened that day, and find out why she's never spoken since. When everything came out about what did happen, I realised there had been very well placed clues throughout and it almost made me want to re-read the book again straightaway!

I'd recommend this for fans of Shari Lapena's books, Before I Go To Sleep or The Girl on the Train. I gave this five stars.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment