Friday 11 September 2020

Review of 'The Confessions of Frannie Langton' by Sara Collins

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "There's wickedness in all men. The ones we call good are the ones who care to hide it" - 'The Confessions of Frannie Langton' by Sara Collins

This is one of those books that I've seen all over Instagram and Twitter for months. I read it as part of a book club and I really wanted to love it. But it just wasn't for me. The plot was great, but I just couldn't get on board with the writing or writing style. It really dragged for me, despite having an interesting plot and I kept wanting things to move more quickly.

We start off knowing that Frannie Langton is accused of killing the mistress and master who own the house that she's a servant in. Frannie takes us back to her roots, showing the reader her growing up as a slave in Jamaica, and eventually ending up in England, sold by her old master as a servant in a new country.

The book is an interesting one as I said, and I would recommend it to fans of modern gothic novels. It's dark and filled with all the tropes of classic gothic novels: forlorn landscapes, terrifying science, women who step out of the place of what they 'should' be doing, mental health and illness etc. The book also has a queer romance in it, which was one of the things I did enjoy. It moved beyond what you would expect of a book set in the early-mid 1800s, showing a more realistic view of life perhaps than ones you would normally come across in books.

I gave this 2 stars because I really found myself having to force myself to keep coming back to the book because of the writing style. I do think that's an issue with me more than the book, however as I said, I did enjoy the story.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment