Saturday 5 September 2020

Review of 'A Feast for Crows' by George R R Martin

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "I prefer my history dead. Dead history is written in ink, the living sort in blood" - 'A Feast for Crows' by George R R Martin

Yep, I'm still on my quest to read the whole Game of Thrones series. I have to say that this one is probably my least favourite so far, though I still really enjoyed it. This book is where things split off in terms of character perspectives. We follow Cersei, Jame, Brienne, Samwell, Sansa, Arya and a number of minor characters, losing the perspectives of all of the other characters. The timelines for this and A Dance with Dragons are near parallel, and as the series isn't finished yet (come on George!), at the end of this book we're almost up to the end of the timeline in the series so far.

Obviously A Feast for Crows is a massive tome like all of the other books in the series, coming in at over 800 pages so I'm going to try to keep this brief. Arya and Sansa are now further apart than ever: Arya's in Braavos learning how to serve the Faceless God and Sansa's in the Eyrie with Littlefinger. Things are getting more dramatic on the wall, and Samwell Tarly is set on a journey to save a baby from Stannis Baratheon's bloodshed. Brienne of Tarth has set out to find Sansa for Jaime. Cersei's battling against Margaery Tyrell's power over her son and need to be Queen regent in his stead. 

It feels like there's a lot of world building going on in this book. I kept feeling as though things were on the cusp of breaking out into something more dramatic, and I'm looking forward to seeing the perspectives of the missing character viewpoints in the next two books. I really enjoyed Arya's character progression in this book, as well as Brienne of Tarth's. These were the story lines that kept me intrigued and kept we wanting to pick the book back up when I put it down.

I gave this 4/5 stars

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment