Thursday 15 October 2020

Review of 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' by Sarah J Maas

 

Grey sparkly background with black writing that reads: "Everything I love has always had a tendency to be taken from me" - 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' by Sarah J Maas

I mean ... where do I even start with this? I'm totally late on the train with reading Sarah J Maas' books. After devouring YA fantasy as much as possible when I was a teen, I fell out of touch with it until last year when I remembered how much I enjoyed reading fantasy. And this series? I've now read the first three and all I've done since starting this is rave to anyone who will listen about this new obsession. I now totally understand why everyone seems to constantly be talking about them online. 

A Court of Thorns and Roses is a bit of a Beauty and the Beast retelling with a twist. Feyre's struggling to help keep her two sisters fed as her father can't work after his leg was damaged. When she kills the biggest wolf she's ever seen she can't believe her luck ... until she finds out it's fae. Tamlin, a fae High Lord storms into their house as a beast, demanding to know who killed the wolf: he takes Feyre as punsishment across the Wall, back to fae lands to live out the rest of her life there. At first, Feyre is determined to hate her surroundings and captors, but as time goes on, will she change her mind?

I absolutely devoured this. One thing Sarah J Maas is really excellent at is world building, and I love a book that has good descriptions in it. The fae world has seven courts: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, Day, Night and Dawn. The majority of ACOTAR takes place in the Spring court and it sounds like the most beautiful place. Don't get me wrong though, the book isn't all heavy description, but instead has steamy romance, lots of dramatic action and characters that you would die for and also want to kill. 

All the hype I've ever heard about how great Sarah J Maas' writing is is really to be believed: I want to read every book she's ever written, and the series only gets better from here! I've given this five stars and would recommend for fans of YA fantasy, His Dark Materials, the Chaos Walking Trilogy, Game of Thrones and Harry Potter.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment