Friday 30 October 2020

Review of 'Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas' by Adam Kay

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: “Full marks to the anaesthetist wearing a badge that says; 'He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake'.” - 'Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas' by Adam Kay

I am *that* person who read a Christmassy book over Summer because sometimes you just need an extra bit of festivity inserted into your life, right? I LOVED This is Going to Hurt, but if I'm brutally honest the thing that made me so slow to read this second book was that it was the same price as a full novel for a TINY book. I managed to borrow this from a friend, which I'm really glad about because otherwise I just don't think I could have justified the price to read it.

Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas is a memoir in the same style as This is Going to Hurt, with stories by Adam Kay about his time working as a junior doctor for the NHS in the UK. It shares the funny and the brutally sad tales he remembers, with these ones all taking place between Christmas and New Year over the years he worked as a doctor.

The book is really great at showing how tough life working for the NHS can be over Christmas, particularly as Kay spent every single Christmas Day working. There are some really beautiful moments he depicts involving births, but his story about people trying to get their elderly relatives admitted to hospital so they don't have to spend the day together really broke my heart a bit.

If you enjoyed This is Going to Hurt, or like medical memoirs then I would recommend this. It was a quick read that helped me get out of a slump, and put a smile on my face as well as making me cry.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment