Saturday 27 February 2021

Review of 'The Teacher' by Katerina Diamond

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "That’s the problem when you can’t admit you have a problem, you stop controlling it, it starts controlling you" - 'The Teacher' by Katerina Diamond

I read The Secret by Katerina Diamond a few years ago and really enjoyed it, but remembered that they alluded to a whole series of events from this book which is the first in the series, and I wanted to get to grips with it. Naturally I then bought this and left it sitting on my shelves forever and now I've forgotten what happened in The Secret, but I'd like to read the rest in the series.

The Teacher is a gory crime novel. Someone is killing different men in violent, torturous ways, using a different MO with each one. Each chapter in the book focuses on a different character: we follow each victim to their death, see insights from DS Imogen Grey and DS Adrian Miles, and even from the killer as we get further into the book. The victims are all connected, and when the link between them becomes clear, the detectives aren't sure whose side they're on anymore.

This was a gripping murder mystery with a whole lot of gore. I found myself looking forward to reading it and seeing what linked everyone together, and why some of the characters were involved in the book. A very graphic thriller, the book comes with a trigger warning for sexual assault, gore and torture. It was a good January read, matching the dreary weather, and I now really want to see what happens next with Detectives Grey and Miles.

I gave this three stars because it was quite clear who the murderer was very early on in the book, but I was very torn between a three and four star rating. 

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment