Saturday 6 February 2021

Review of 'We Need New Names' by NoViolet Bulawayo

 

Review of 'We Need New Names' by NoViolet Bulawayo

My first read of 2021! I'm so excited to *actually* be up to date on book reviews at the start of the year for the first time in years. The weight has lifted! Anyway, 2021 has already knackered me so much I feel almost delirious. 

We Need New Names is a coming of age story about 10 year old Darling. Originally growing up in Zimbabwe, Darling has to say goodbye to her country to move to America with her Aunt and Uncle. The book details the games she plays growing up with her friends, the dangers they face (and only somewhat understand), and the difficulties she faces as an unofficial citizen in the US who cannot go back home.

I really enjoyed the plot of this, but struggled to get on board with the writing style. The book was told from Darling's perspective, which obscured the story a little and I felt like I lost what was going on, or the meaning behind things at times because of it. The book was very well written, it was definitely my poor knowledge of Zimbabwean history and dislike for this kind of writing style that was the problem. The book did give a really interesting perspective into what it's like living in the US and being expected to send money and resources to your home country when things aren't as rosy in the US as you'd hoped, which I loved.

I would recommend reading this as the book gave some important insights to issues such as overseas aid, white saviours, childhood pregnancy, life without papers in the US, US racism, and the struggles of losing your childhood dreams. 

I gave this three stars

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment