Monday 5 April 2021

Review of 'From Twinkle, With Love' by Sandhya Menon

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "Sometimes I worry I don’t know who I really am. Sometimes I’m afraid nothing I do will ever be enough to set me apart" - 'From Twinkle, With Love' by Sandhya Menon

I'm a big fan of Sandhya Menon's books - I've loved both When Dimple Met Rishi and There's Something About Sweetie, so I thought I was onto a winner here. As always with Menon's books, the characters in this were vibrant, I got hooked on the plot and fell a little in love with the main male character. 

Twinkle is an aspiring teen filmmaker struggling with high school after her best friend starts hanging out with the popular girls. She's hoping the film she's making will be her path to popularity, and that hanging out with Sahil will give her the opportunity to spend time with his twin Neil, her ultimate crush. But, the film actually forces her to hold up a lens to her own actions, and realise that she's perhaps becoming someone different to who she'd like to be. 

The reason why I struggled with this book was also one of the reasons why it was so good. Menon captures what it's like to be an insecure teen so well, and it felt like holding a mirror up to my uncomfortable truths. I've not related to any teen character like this in a long time, in a way that brought me back exactly to all my big fears, nasty thoughts and distance from who I wanted to be. 

I gave this four stars because there were parts I really struggled with, and I felt like my lack of interest in filmmaking and directors meant a few bits of the book were lost on me. However I got totally wrapped up in the writing and the plot.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment