Sunday 6 January 2019

Review of 'Cranford' by Elizabeth Gaskell

Review of 'Cranford' by Elizabeth Gaskell

I didn't realise we had another classic coming so soon, but I really went through a ~phase~ in September/October (and yes, I am still this behind on reviews even after cramming so many in over the past week or two!). Elizabeth Gaskell is an author I came across whilst studying at uni and I'm so glad I did because her books are incredible, and Cranford was no different. 

Published in novel form in 1853, the book is set in the fictional village of Cranford. The twist is that it's a matriarchy, poking fun at all the elements of the restrictive patriarchy of Gaskell's contemporary world. The book was initially published in serial form, and it's clear as each chapter is almost a short story of its own within the context of the town.

Marriage is bemoaned, and any woman that wants to marry, or worse, gets married, is left out of the loop of social gatherings. The women of Cranford never want men, or more men, to live within the walls of the town, and feel genuine horror at the thought of a woman being 'lost' to marriage. 

A satire in nature, the book is an incredible insight into what Victorian English society was like, and what some women thought of it. Victorian fiction is absolutely my favourite epoch (the Bronte sisters give me life) and I just loved every refreshing moment of this. If you're a fan of Victorian fiction, or want a humorous look into society at the time, then I'd definitely recommend this!

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube 

No comments:

Post a Comment