Monday 7 January 2019

Review of 'Shiver' by Maggie Stiefvater

Review of 'Shiver' by Maggie Stiefvater

It's no secret that I love YA fiction, and fantasy makes up such a decent amount of the YA fiction I love to read. I saw a few tweets the other day about how YA shouldn't be classed as a genre in itself because it's so diverse, and I really think that's right: there's such a wealth of great young adult fiction out there, and it ought to be respected. 

Anyway, I bought Shiver because the cover was beautiful and it reminded me of a book I'd read as a teen with a similar cover. I'm a sucker for good cover marketing, especially now that I work in publishing and know how much effort and thought can go in to them.

Grace lives in a small American town, which is pretty normal if you ignore the wolves skirting around the edges of it hidden in the forest. When Grace was a child she was dragged into the forest by a pack of wolves and almost killed, but rather than fearing them, she feels a deep affinity to one wolf in particular who saved her. 

Each year she spends her time looking out for 'her' wolf, and spies him watching her back from between the trees. Grace is fully obsessed with the wolves, and she'd do anything to (safely) reach out to them. But when a boy is attacked, and another one goes missing, Grace is forced to face the fact that there might be something more sinister than she ever thought going on with the pack ...


This is the first in a trilogy that I'm determined to make my way through. Although the writing was a little simplistic, I really enjoyed the plot of the book, and I want to see where it goes next. This was such a great read for October when things are getting a little spooky, and I might save the next one in the set until that time this year to fully embrace the season!

This is a great YA read for those interested in fantasy and people that enjoyed the Twilight series.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment