Monday 28 January 2019

Review of 'Spark' by Alice Broadway

Review of 'Spark' by Alice Broadway

A few months ago I plunged into Ink, the first in a soon-to-be trilogy by Alice Broadway. As soon as I finished it, I downloaded Spark to my kindle because THE ENDING. I needed to find out what happened asap.

It'll be hard to review this without spoilering Spark, so if you haven't read that, I'd back away now (and go and read it because it's fab). 

After strutting out of the naming ceremony with *that* tattoo on her chest, Leora is forced to make a horrible choice. Branded a traitor and threatened with treason, she is sent to Featherstone, where the Blanks live. Already confused about who she is and where she came from, as a half-Marked half-Blank individual, Leora is the only one who can bridge the gap between the warring factions.

Although she's at first terrified to be amongst the warlike blanks, Leora begins to start to learn their ways, even if only to act as a spy, bringing news back to her home. But these people are her family, and Leora must make a choice between doing what is right, and doing what she's always thought was right. 

Honestly this series is incredible, and I can't wait for the third installment, Scar to be released later this year. The covers of both Ink and Spark are beautiful, and even though the kindle editions are great, I'd kind of love to have physical copies of both on my shelves. The series reminds me of the Patrick Ness Chaos Walking trilogy (which are pure gold FYI): they're both great YA fantasy about journeying and finding yourself and also questioning everything you've ever been taught. 

If you're a fan of YA fiction and fantasy/sci-fi novels I'd definitely recommend this. The writing's fab, it's so easy to get through and then we'll all be in the pain of wanting for the third installment to come out together!


Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment