Friday 20 November 2020

Review of 'P.S. I Still Love You' by Jenny Han

 

Grey sparkly background with black writing that reads: "Things feel like they'll be forever, but they aren't. Love can go away, or people can, without even meaning to. Nothing is guaranteed" - 'P.S. I Still Love You' by Jenny Han

I really wanted to read this before I let myself watch the film after enjoying To All The Boys I've Loved Before so much. I have very mixed feelings about this second in the trilogy: some parts I enjoyed way more, but I'm just putting it out there that I was Team John the whole way through ...

P.S. I Still Love You starts off with Lara Jean and Peter now an *actual* couple that aren't just pretending. LJ can hardly believe she's managed to bag Peter Kavinsky. However, things aren't going as smoothly as she'd like: despite making a pact to not hurt each other, Peter's spending more time with his ex Gen, and LJ has become pen pals with an old crush and hasn't quite mentioned she's in a relationship now. Will their fledgling relationship survive this?

My main gripe with this book is that the love story I wanted to triumph out of the triangle LJ found herself in lost. I really felt as though Lara Jean and Peter both develop a lot in finding themselves and finding how they want to be in a relationship which I felt was really great. However, I LOVED John Ambrose McLaren's character, and even though he was just a foil to their relationship, I thought he was much better for LJ than Peter was. I mean, he turned up in a SUIT to the elderly resident party to impress her. 

I would recommend this if you enjoyed TATBILB - I gave it three stars because I wasn't feeling the love (would a teenage girl really forgive a guy for hanging out with his ex after she posted a video of them being intimate? Would a teenage guy withstand the blow to his ego of a girl openly flirting with someone else in front of him? I just struggled to believe it, and to feel their connection). However, I still loved the Covey sisters' relationship in this one, and felt that was an important part of the book.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment