Friday 6 November 2020

Review of 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' by Jenny Han

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That's the part of the risk. I don't want to be scared anymore." - 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' by Jenny Han

Normally I'm always a 'read the book before you watch the film' advocate, but with this one I did it the other way around. I adored the film (a cute YA watch), and wanted to read the trilogy before seeing the second. I was reading this over summer in a bit of a slump after reading a few books I really didn't enjoy and it was the perfect fix to get me out of it.

Lara Jean writes a letter to every boy she loves when she falls out of love with him as a way to say goodbye. She never sends the letters, but keeps them in an old hatbox of her mother's. When one of the boys tells her he got her letter, Lara Jean realises they all must have been sent out somehow. Desperate to not let anyone know that she used to have a major crush on her sister's boyfriend (especially not her sister) who she wrote one of the letters to, she hatches a fake dating plan with one of the other boys.

This was a very dramatic love triangle-y romance that I totally devoured. I loved Lara Jean's character in this - she's sensitive, a little artsy and is always baking. The sister relationships between LJ and her older sister Margot as well as little sister Kitty were fab, and I felt like it was important that they occupied such a large space in the novel. The dynamic between them and as well more largely as a family missing a mother added a layer of depth outside the romance that the book really needed. 

I would recommend this if you enjoy YA romance books, especially Sarah Dessen's and Nicola Yoon's books.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment