Sunday 3 January 2021

Review of 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury

Grey background with black writing that reads "And when he died, I suddenly realized I wasn’t crying for him at all, but for the things he did" - 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury

 

It's been so long since I've read a 'classic' and this one is such an accessible read in terms of language, length and themes. It really reminded me of The Great Gatsby, not in terms of the storyline but in the overt use of imagery and a short but powerful plot.

Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian novel set in a world in which books are banned. Montag, the main character, is a fireman whose job it is to set fire to homes that contain books. But, things start to go downhill when he begins stealing books from the infernos almost unwittingly. The book looks at the implications of owning the contraband, the impact of books on his character, and the ways in which people try to suppress knowledge.

This was a really interesting (and terrifying) read. The suggestion in the book is that people simply stopped feeling a need to read fiction, and instead watched the screens hoisted up on the walls of their parlours. It hit a little too close to home. I love a book with vivid descriptions in, and the colours in this book really brought it to life. You could almost see the fires eating away at people's homes. 

The book is not separated into chapters, which I found a little difficult at first. However, it does match well with the pace of the novel, which seems to get more and more frenzied as it goes on. I felt almost like I was in a fever dream by the end, but felt as though that was how I was supposed to be feeling.

I gave this 4 stars and would recommend it if you're looking into trying more classics or if you enjoyed The Great Gatsby. Though it does come with a trigger warning for attempted suicide near the start of the book. 

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment