Tuesday 5 January 2021

Review of 'Together by Christmas' by Karen Swan

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "She felt the butterflies in her stomach take wing, and with them, her hopes too" - 'Together by Christmas' by Karen Swan

I really haven't read many Christmas themed books before, but every year I try to read at least one. They make me feel extra festive and I especially loved that this one was set in Amsterdam as it reminded me of visiting there a couple of years ago.

Together by Christmas is told along two timelines. One is Lee's present day: she's living in Amsterdam with her son, working as a photographer for high end galleries and magazines. The other is back when she was younger working as a war photographer out in warzones. Lee's getting ready for Christmas and trying to make it as special as possible for her son Jasper. However, when she discovers her old best friend, a war correspondent she spent her time with in Syria, has gone out for one last story before his baby is born, she must face some home truths she's been ignoring for the past five years.

I love that Karen Swan doesn't write straightforward romances: this really felt like a cross between a standard romance book and a thriller. All throughout the book you realise that Lee's harbouring a secret that's not revealed until much later. Her blossoming relationship with Sam, an author she feels an instant connection with, is captivating. I found myself completely hooked on both the present day and the historical timelines, which I usually find rarely happens.

I am putting a big trigger warning out there for sexual assault in this book. It's brought up repeatedly, and in very vivid detail. This isn't much of a spoiler as it's mentioned fairly on in the book.

I gave this 5 stars and can't wait to see what Karen Swan brings out next year!

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment