Thursday 28 January 2021

Review of 'There's Something About Sweetie' by Sandhya Menon

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: “She was constantly being forced to think of herself as the before picture, but when she spoke to her cousin, she saw that the after picture could include her just as she was right now" - 'There's Something About Sweetie' by Sandhya Menon

I read When Dimple Met Rishi a few years ago and totally adored it. It was a breath of fresh air when I was just getting back into YA and I fell in love with Sandhya Menon's writing. Reading There's Something About Sweetie reminded me of that exact feeling and I'm mostly annoyed I never got around to reading her other books sooner!

There's Something About Sweetie is set in the same world as When Dimple Met Rishi, but this time around the focus is on Rishi's younger brother Ashish. Ashish is devastated when his college age girlfriend dumps him, and finally accepts his parents offering to find him a girlfriend they feel is appropriate. When they try to matchmake him with Sweetie however, her mother opposes it - but Sweetie and Ashish pursue things in secret.

I got totally swept up in the romance of this one. The book is told in alternative chapters from Sweetie's and Ashish's perspectives, which helped to add to the tension of the book. Sweetie's character is one of the best forms of fat representation I've read in a book in recent years. Sweetie is an inspirational character without being unrealistic and I love the message the book gives off. We see her grow in confidence in the face of some very difficult situations. Equally, Ashish goes on a big journey in accepting his heritage and culture as a teenager who's finding it difficult to place himself.

I would recommend this for fans of YA romance and gave it 5 stars.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment