Saturday 15 May 2021

Review of 'Get a Life, Chloe Brown' by Talia Hibbert

 

Review of 'Get a Life, Chloe Brown' by Talia Hibbert

It's been a while since I've read a straight up romance book, and this has made me want to read more. It was a bit smuttier than I was expecting just because the name and cover didn't hint at it, so if that's not your thing then I'd maybe give this one a miss. 

Get a Life, Chloe Brown is all about a woman who wants to turn her life around. She moves out of her family home, determined to live independently in her new flat, and is even more determined to avoid the help of Red, the maintenance man. After ending up in a sticky situation involving a cat-tree-rescue, Chloe's forced to get Red's help and realises that he might be able to help her out with her bucket list.

This is the first romance (or even just general book?) that I've read where the main character love interest has a disability. Chloe has fibromyalgia, and the ways it affects her life are hinted at, or even explicitly discussed throughout the book. Chloe's also a fat Black woman, and occupies this sexy love interest space at the heart of the novel that I think is so important. The love story is gripping and realistic and Chloe was a character I just really liked. I enjoyed the relationship between Chloe and her sisters, which added something needed to the novel to make it less 100% relationship focused. The one thing I struggled with in the book were the sex scenes. I felt like they were written very bluntly, and with little description to help set the scene, which isn't my fave, but is definitely a personal preference issue.

I gave this four stars and would recommend it if you're looking for a romance that's a little steamy.

Follow me on Bloglovin Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment