Wednesday 19 May 2021

Review of 'The Manifesto on how to be Interesting' by Holly Bourne

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "Being interesting isn't important. But being happy is. As well as being a person you're proud of" - 'The Manifesto on How to be Interesting' by Holly Bourne

Sometimes YA fiction borders a little too much into teen fiction, and whilst this book came with a warning that it wasn't for younger readers because of some of the topics included, it really felt like more of a teen read. I definitely started off really not enjoying the book, but as it went on I warmed to the style of writing, plot and main character a lot more. 

Bree desperately wants to be an author, but after her second novel is rejected by every publisher out there, she decides that she needs to become interesting to write something with more of a kick. So Bree sets out to do just that. She gets a makeover, buys a whole new wardrobe and sets out on a mission to become popular, seek her revenge on the popular kids at school, lose her virginity and blog everything along the way. However, things don't quite go to plan and Bree's forced to reckon with the consequences of who she's become.

I thought the book did a great job at discussing self harm. It was sensitive, realistic and showed how important it is to seek help before things get out of control. I also think it ultimately did a good job at exploring a student-teacher relationship. At the start I felt a bit like 'here we go again with the romanticisation of this', but I think Bourne did a really great job at showing how swept up Bree was in the relationship and how romantic she thought it was, before showing the realities behind it and knocking down this image.

I just struggled to like the main character, which meant I struggled to like the book. Though I do realise that she was a realistic portrayal of a teen who makes a few mistakes, and I think it's important to include these kinds of characters in YA fiction. I struggled to get on with the writing style, but it was a good book.

I would recommend this if you're a fan of Sara Barnard's books, or YA fiction that's not centred around relationships.

Follow me on Bloglovin Twitter Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment