Monday 3 May 2021

Review of 'Into the Water' by Paula Hawkins

 

grey background with black writing that reads: "She used to think that only parents can understand the sort of love that swallows you up, but now she wondered whether it was only mothers who did" - 'Into the Water' by Paula Hawkins

After really enjoying The Girl on the Train, I was so excited for Paula Hawkins to release a new book. But after hearing a host of negative reviews I put off reading it for years. I'm quite glad I did because it really didn't live up to my expectations as a thriller.

Into the Water is set in a small town in Oxfordshire that has a large body of water that several women have drowned in. Most recently Nel was found there, and when detectives seek to find out what happened, it's ruled as a suicide, but her sister can't quite believe it. There's a whole lot of suspicions and mysteries in the small town that all seem to lead to one place: the drowning pool.

The main thing I struggled with in this book is that Nel's death was obviously not a suicide because the book's a thriller. The author tried to keep the suspense up about that for most of the book, which made the book a bit slow and dry for that part of the plot. I enjoyed the book to some extent - there were parts that did keep me interested, but it was definitely a 3 star read.

Follow me on Bloglovin Twitter Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment