Sunday 30 May 2021

Review of 'An Unwanted Guest' by Shari Lapena

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "One may smile and smile and be a villain" - 'An Unwanted Guest' by Shari Lapena

Shari Lapena is fast becoming my favourite thriller writer. She's never written anything I haven't enjoyed and been gripped by, so much so that I put off reading this just in case I didn't enjoy it as much as the others I've read. I shouldn't have been worried - this one was great too. 

An Unwanted Guest takes place in an out of the way B&B that becomes isolated due to a snow storm. The phone lines are down and the roads are closed, so there's no way in or out. This takes a turn for the sinister when the guests wake up to find one of them dead at the bottom of the stairs. When a second guest is found murdered, the rest of them start to get scared about who might be picking them off, and why. 

This book was gripping from the start. I found the multi character perspective a little difficult at the start, but as the book went on this was great for showing us different things that were happening in different parts of the hotel, adding to the tension. The characters were interesting and didn't feel 2D, like they often can in a book with so many perspectives, particularly a thriller. I didn't guess the killer, but they weren't unrealistic, which was great. 

I gave this 5 stars and would recommend if you're a thriller fan, especially of authors like Liane Moriarty.

Follow me on Bloglovin Twitter Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment