Wednesday 25 March 2020

Review of 'The Antiquary' by Walter Scott

Grey background with writing saying: "With a beating heart he watched the flutter of her white dress" - 'The Antiquary' by Walter Scott

As I'm reading, I always try to dog-ear (I'm a monster) or bookmark pages on my book or kindle with quotes I love. I can usually tell if I didn't *really* enjoy a book if I've not saved any pages to go back to. This is one of those books, and it took me a LONG time to find something I thought was half decent to use for this post. 

The Antiquary starts with a journey that a man named Lovel and an antiquary called Oldbuck take together to Scotland. At the centre of the book is mystery surrounding who Lovel really is, and we start to discover more and more about him through his interactions with the antiquary. 

I really struggled with this book - it's something I just couldn't wrap my head around. There is a lot of text in this written in Scottish dialect that made it a very slow read. I found I was focusing more on deciphering what was being said than thinking about the meaning behind the words and then missed a lot of that. It was a fairly hefty read (at over 500 pages), but there just wasn't masses of plot to keep me interested. 

I gave this 1 star and can't say I'd really recommend it.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment