Saturday 21 March 2020

Review of 'Someone we Know' by Shari Lapena*

Grey background with text: "Just like that, all her happy feelings disappeared" - 'Someone we Know', Shari Lapena

*This was a gifted book to discuss on Instagram (no obligation to write a full review)

Clearly I had a bit of a thriller rampage last summer (which is absolutely where I'm up to on catching up with book reviews *clenches teeth*). Shari Lapena's fast becoming one of my favourite thriller authors, and I've been eyeing up reading her other books for a couple of months now. She seems to be really great at making you think you're clever and that you know who the culprit is, and then switching things up and making you realise that you weren't as clever as you thought. BUT, the culprit is still really believable and the signs were there throughout the book. I love it, and have been totally duped by her on both of her books I've read.

This book is set in suburban New York where Olivia Cole has just found out that her teenage son has been breaking into people's homes and hacking into their computers. Unfortunately for their family, he's broken into the home of a woman who's gone missing, and as the police become more and more convinced she's no longer alive, the family begin to worry about their son's fingerprints all over the house. The reader enters the lives of a whole group of neighbours from their quiet street, including the husband of the missing woman, as we become more embroiled in this story of revenge and betrayal and secrets.

This wasn't my favourite book of Lapena's, but I did really enjoy it. I loved the fact that none of the characters were wholly good, and you could suspect everyone. It had a very Pretty Little Liars gossip-y small town feel, and worked really well in showing how all of the neighbours' lives intertwined. I'd recommend this for fans of fast-paced thrillers who want a quick read as it's slightly on the short side (just under 300pgs).

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube


No comments:

Post a Comment