Saturday 28 March 2020

Review of 'My Sister the Serial Killer' by Oyinkan Braithwaite

Grey background with text saying: "They come to the hospital for healing and, sometimes, it's not just their bodies that need attention" - 'My Sister the Serial Killer', by Oyinkan Braithwaite

When I read this book I'd gotten into a bit of a rut with my kindle. I'd spent the last two months reading a book that went on seemingly forever and that I really didn't enjoy (I need to work on my inability to DNF a book). This was the perfect 'I'm breaking out of my rut' book - short, fast paced and different to anything else I read all of last year, this was the breath of fresh air that I needed.

Korede and her sister Ayoode live together with their mother in Nigeria, and although their lives changed quite a lot after their father's death, Korede's hoping things calm down a little. That is, until her sister calls her out of her shift at the hospital because she's killed her boyfriend. Again. Feeling like she has to help her sister (and knowing that as the older sister her mum would blame her if Ayoode was caught), she helps Ayoode hide the body. The book follows the two women's frantic need to cover up the fact that Ayoode is a serial killer. However, Korede's fears peak when Ayoode starts dating a man she likes at the hospital.

I really enjoyed this book. I felt like it gave snippets of insights into what it's like to grow up in a Nigerian household without making this disjointed from the tense murder plot. Although it was such a short book, the bond between the sisters was explored very well and I really did want to read it all as soon as possible. My one issue with the book was that it ended in a very odd place - the story stopped very abruptly without any kind of crux or resolution to what was happening in the plot. I would have loved another 50 pages or so more to reach some kind of conclusion, or tie the story off in a different place.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment