Saturday 14 March 2020

Review of 'Keep You Close' by Karen Cleveland*

Grey background with text that says: "He smiled at me, and something in his expression sent a chill through me" - 'Keep You Close' by Karen Cleveland

*This book was gifted to me to discuss on Instagram*

I'm a big crime thriller fan, and this book was one of my favourite ones I read last year. It reminded me a LOT of TV shows like Homeland, and was a really fast-paced, FBI-laced drama.

Keep You Close's Steph Maddox is an internal investigations officer at the FBI, tackling those inside the bureau who are accused of wrongdoing. Her whole world gets titled on its axis when a colleague warns her that the bureau are looking into her son on some alleged terrorist charges. She knows her son wouldn't be involved in an online terror group, or at least thinks she does until she finds a gun in his room. The book follows her own attempts to find who could be framing her son whilst trying to wrap her head around the fact that there's a chance it *might* be him.

I loved almost all of this book, and would gave given it 5 stars right up until the ending. It's one of those stories where the writer tries to make the culprit someone you would never guess, and in doing so ruins the entire plot (I'm looking at you Pretty Little Liars). The book was left very open ended: most of the strands of the plot weren't tied up and the resolution was left as a sort of suggestion that could be undermined. It was pretty clear that there's a sequel in the works and a lot of the answers are being left for that, but having read it without the sequel available it was a bit disappointing.

If you are a fan of US crime dramas/thrillers or shows like Homeland I would really recommend this still as it keeps you guessing throughout and the writing and pacing is genuinely very good. It's just the open ending that let it down a bit IMO.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment