Thursday 5 March 2020

Review of 'One Day in December' by Josie Silver

Grey background with text reading '"Sometimes you just meet the right person at the wrong time" - 'One Day in December' by Josie Silver'

I was so looking forward to reading this - a hyped up romance is almost always going to be right up my street. Maybe I shouldn't have read an obviously Christmassy/wintery book in the summer last year (yes I am that behind on reviews and desperately trying to catch up as quickly as possible), but this just didn't hit the spot for me.

Laurie falls in love at first sight on a snowy London day in December. She confesses her need to find this man she locked eyes with to her best friend Sarah, but after months of trying to find him after their one encounter was her gazing at him from a bus, she gives up. Soon Sarah's excited to introduce her new boyfriend to Laurie: it's the man she fell in love with.

The book takes place over ten years, tracking Laurie's ever-growing love for a man that she can't admit to Sarah is her man from the bus. It encompasses friendship, other relationships for Laurie, and a big theme of missed opportunities. 

I'm still a bit disappointed that I didn't enjoy this? I felt as though the book really dragged and could have had the same exact plot whilst being 100 pages shorter. I also really struggled with not liking the characters and really not wanting the two main lovers to get together. In some books not liking the main characters is par for the course, but I just feel as though with a romance novel you really need to be rooting for them, and I just wasn't.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube



1 comment:

  1. I really loved this book. We spent so many years with them, and all those missed opportunities. We were there for the ups and downs in their lives, and I grew invested. It drove me batty, the same way Love, Rosie did, but it was the best kind of batty

    ReplyDelete