Saturday 2 May 2020

Review of 'Crazy Rich Asians' by Kevin Kwan

Review of 'Crazy Rich Asians' by Kevin Kwan

Do you ever come across a series and end up with a whole new obsession?! Honestly I wish this had been published when I was a teenager (which makes me feel really old) because I would have loved it so much, possibly even more than I do now. I've just finished the second book in the series (China Rich Girlfriend), so I'm on a big Kevin Kwan hype at the moment.  

Rachel Chu and her boyfriend Nick Young live together in New York working as professors at a university. When Nick suggests that the pair spend their summer in Singapore and visit his family, she has no idea what she's about to experience. You see, Rachel has no idea that Nick's family is super rich (crazy rich even), and her expectations of their summer trip are completely turned on their head. With her university friend Peik Lin (an international student who lives in Singapore now) by her side, Rachel tries to navigate a world where everyone is suspicious of her intentions and jealous of her attachment to Nick.

This is one of the most intense, drama-filled, funny books that I've read in a long time. If I had to compare it to anything, it would be a more extreme version of Gossip Girl. The book's told from a few different perspectives, and it made for a very fast-paced book as you got to see the plotting and conniving from a whole variety of angles. I watched the film shortly after reading the book too and I think it's going to be a firm favourite for me - it really did the book justice and I hope they make films for the other books in the series!

Now all I need to do is get my hands on the third installment - Rich People Problems.

I gave this 4/5 stars. It was a little hard to dip in and out of as the text was quite dense, but as I mentioned, it really is a firm favourite!

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment