Saturday 23 May 2020

Review of 'Two Can Keep A Secret' by Karen M. McManus

Grey background with black writing that reads: 'Welcome to life in a small town. You’re only as good as the best thing your family’s done. Or the worst.' - 'Two Can Keep A Secret', Karen M McManus

I am a BIG Karen McManus fan - she's becoming one of my fave YA authors to read as an adult, and I'm so excited to read One of Us in Next and Cousins when it is released. She's really good at writing realistic teens in a modern setting, and I love the murder mystery aspect of both this and One of Us is Lying. She's absolutely someone whose books I want to read as soon as they're released (and absolutely as always never seem to *quite* get around to). 

Set in Echo Ridge, a small town in America, twins Ellery and Ezra are adjusting to life with their grandma. After their mum ended up in rehab, they're determined to make the most of a new life in a new town. However, once they're there they start to find out more about their missing aunt and the girl that now goes missing from their school. With a passion for true crime, Ellery's determined to uncover the secrets this quite town holds.

I really enjoyed this. There were a whole host of small mysteries slotted into a fairly short book (320-ish pages): what was their mum like as a teen? What happened to their missing aunt? Who killed the girl five years ago? And what's happening now? It was really well written, and kept me completely hooked from start to finish. 

McManus writes genuinely good YA crime fiction, and if you're fans of Sarah Dessen's books, or liked a bit of Nancy Drew back in the day, I'd really recommend her.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment