Tuesday 19 May 2020

Review of 'The Girl in the Ice' by Robert Bryndza

Grey background with black writing that reads: "The secret of blending in, is don't try to" - 'The Girl in the Ice' by Robert Bryndza

As hard as I try to stray into more high brow fiction, or push myself out of my comfort zone I always come back over and over again to thrillers. They're quick reads, easy to get through and something that really help to motivate me to read when I'm in a little bit of a rut because I just NEED to know what happens.

Erika Foster is *pinches* this close to being kicked off the force due to her trauma around her partner's death and the way it has affected her work (nice, huh?). Solving the murder of the rich socialite girl who was pushed into a lake in Erika's area could be the key to getting everything back on track. However, when Erika discovers links between the victim and other attacks on prostitutes nearby everything turns nasty. The victim's rich, powerful family are determined to use their influence to keep the media posting positive things about their daughter and to avoid scrutiny against them that they feel ought to be placed elsewhere. 

As Erika gets closer to discovering the killer, the killer is getting closer to making her one of his next victims. 

This was a really intense once you got a good chunk of the way into the book as it had a bit of a slow start. However, once the pace picked up I did really enjoy it. My main gripe was that although I didn't guess exactly who the killer was, it wasn't a hard reach. I would have much rather the story linked up more with her past as the book hinted at throughout. There was a bit of the standard 'female detective underestimated and gaslit by her male colleagues gets more determined than ever to sort out her case' trope running the whole way through, but to be honest it's not my least favourite crime thriller trope to read.

If you enjoyed watching The Capture last year then I think you'd really enjoy this book! I gave this 4 stars.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment