Wednesday 23 December 2020

Review of 'And the Mountains Echoed' by Khaled Hosseini

Grey background with black writing that reads: "All good things in life are fragile and easily lost" - 'And the Mountains Echoed' by Khaled Hosseini

I read The Kite Runner a couple of years ago now and absolutely loved it. It wasn't quite what I was expecting (I had no idea that the big awful event in it happened), but the book was so moving and beautifully written that I knew I had to read Hosseini's other works. I've still got to read A Thousand Splendid Suns, and I'm excited to do so.

And the Mountains Echoed tells the story of Pari and Abduallah, two young siblings that are separated when their father is forced to sell Pari to a childless couple to help support the family. The book is told almost in a series of short stories, all from the perspective of someone connected in some way to the two families involved in the transaction. The book spans decades and a myriad of countries, moving on to characters more loosely and more closely connected to this story of sibling loss at the heart of it.

The book is hard to speak about in any detail without giving too many spoilers because of the way it is structured. It took me a while to work out what was happening with the different perspectives, but I really loved how everything tied back to the core story. I enjoyed working out how each new character at the forefront of a chapter was connected to Pari and Abdullah's story. This book made me WEEP at the end, and for someone who's never a fan of short stories, or books written in this kind of style, I was shocked I felt so connected to the characters.

I feel like Hosseini is an incredible writer, and gave this book four stars. There were a couple of chapters that I found I lost interest in a little because they were more tenuously linked to the rest of the book, but overall it was a great read. 

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment