Tuesday 29 December 2020

Review of 'The Switch' by Beth O'Leary

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "We don't have any good words for talking about death - they're all too small" - 'The Switch' by Beth O'Leary

I read The Flatshare last year and really enjoyed it, so I knew I wanted to read The Switch as soon as I realised Beth O'Leary had brought out another book. Both are the perfect easy-going book to read when everything else feels a little too stressful, and I've now been recommending The Switch to pretty much everyone I know. 

The book is told from two perspectives. One is Leena, a young woman working in London who's not particularly happy with her job or her relationship; the other is Eileen, Leena's grandmother who lives in Yorkshire and is just a bit bored of her life. When the pair decide to swap homes for a couple of months, neither quite knows just how big an effect this is going to have on their lives. 

It's rare that I love both perspectives in a book like this. Usually there's one set of chapters that I'm skimming through to get to my favourite narrator, but with this I loved both parts equally. Eileen is a feisty Yorkshire nan who puts everyone she meets in their place in London, which I LOVED. And Leena really does go on a journey of self discovery with the elderly friends of Eileen. 

This book was exactly what I needed when I was going through a bit of a reading slump to really make me love a book again. I was hooked on the plot, and even though it wasn't an overly dramatic read, or something crammed with twists and turns, I found I was looking forward to picking it up every time I got a chance.

I gave this five stars, and would snap up O'Leary's next book in a heartbeat. I'd recommend this for fans of Cecelia Ahern and Jenny Colgan.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment