Thursday 31 December 2020

'Talking as Fast as I Can' by Lauren Graham

 

Grey background with black writing that reads: "There’s more comedy in failure than in success, and it’s a much more universal language" - 'Talking as Fast as I Can' by Lauren Graham

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm no massive Gilmore Girls fan, or read many autobiographies. This book was something I picked up a few years ago and it's been staring at me from my shelves ever since, but I'm glad I read it. Everyone has an interesting life and I enjoyed seeing insights to the backstage of what Hollywood and actor life is really like.

Talking as Fast As I Can is Lauren Graham's autobiography that she released in the same year as the 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life' series. It tracks her early years from being born in Hawaii, to living in Japan with her father, to her moving towards a career in acting. It takes us through the trials and tribulations of trying to 'make it' as an actress, and how important Gilmore Girls was to Graham. There's a whole chapter at the end dedicated to the show's revival, that gives insights to acting around all the big names in the series and what it was like to bring the show back to life again.

If I'm honest, the final chapter was the bit that I enjoyed least out of the book. I've watched a lot of the original show, but not the revival series. However, for any Gilmore Girls fan I think this would be a must-read because it gives so many titbits of info about filming and the process leading up to it. The book was well written, and I loved hearing all about what Hollywood's like and how hard it is to get into the acting scene. It gave an insight into what it's like to be the real person behind things like audition rejections, the pressure to have a certain body in show business, and gossip columns.

I gave this three out of five stars, and it's reminded me that I do like to read autobiographies.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram



No comments:

Post a Comment