Wednesday 30 December 2020

Review of 'The Husband's Secret' by Liane Moriarty

Grey background with black writing that reads: "She didn't understand a damned thing about life except that it was arbitrary and cruel" - 'The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

 


Liane Moriarty feels like one of those authors that everyone's tried at least once and who has a real cult following. I've wanted to read some of her books for years: a bit of romance and a bit of a mystery is right up my street.

The Husband's Secret is told from three perspectives: Cecelia who finds a secret letter her husband has hidden, Rachel who is still on the hunt for her daughter's killer, and Tess who is reeling from the most shocking news she's ever received. Living in a suburb in Australia, the three are desperately trying to keep their lives together in the face of absolute turmoil. At the heart of the novel is the question of what happened to Rachel's teen daughter all those years ago. She was found strangled in a park, and her spectre haunts the whole novel and whole community as no one knows 'whodunnit'.

Sometimes I struggle with multi-perspective books, but I did enjoy this one. The three women all had distinct voices, and their stories interacted with each other, which is something that always makes me enjoy these types of books more. The book was filled with twists that I absolutely did not see coming and I was hooked. My one issue with the book (and the reason I've given it 4 rather than 5 stars) is that is was filled with fatphobic comments throughout. I found this very disappointing, and it did ruin the story a little for me. I'm hoping the same isn't the case in Moriarty's other books.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment