Saturday 12 December 2020

Review of 'A Court of Frost and Starlight' by Sarah J Maas

Grey sparkly background with black text that reads: "Stars flickered around us, sweet darkness sweeping in. As if we were the only souls in a galaxy" - 'A Court of Frost and Starlight' by Sarah J Maas

 

This year I've worked my way through the whole of the ACOTAR series and loved it. I'm really hoping the new book coming out in January doesn't disappoint. This was my least favourite book in the series, and I *think* mostly because I'm not a big fan of novellas. It felt like a bit of a stepping stone between the end of the last book (which I felt finished really well), and whatever's in the upcoming one. 

It's nearing Winter Solstice and after finding out everyone buys each other presents, Feyre's determined to impress her new family. At the same time however, they're all struggle in the aftermath of the battle they faced: Feyre's unsure of her place as High Lady, Nesta won't talk to anyone, Rhys is keeping himself as busy as possible and Amren's adjusting to her new life. In the background of the festivities is the army's growing discontent that Cassian's trying to keep under control.

I still enjoyed this one - the writing was beautiful as always, but I felt with it being quite a short book that there wasn't *that* much plot. It felt like Maas brought out a Christmas special, but one that still had some really great elements. I loved the descriptions of some of the gifts, and having the chapters from a whole range of different perspectives was very interesting.

I gave this four stars as it's a nice addition to the series, but I don't think it's as powerful as the other books. 

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment